Monday, April 5, 2010

Warden shuts out Broncos

Austin Warden pitched a complete game shutout and Will Shoemaker delivered a big 2-run home run int he first inning as the Lions defeated Western Brown 3-0 Monday.

Warden, now 3-0 for the 4-1 Lions, struck out 12 batters and pitched out of three jams, one with runners on second and third with no outs.

"You won't see a better performance on the mound than what we saw from Austin Warden today," said Lions assistant baseball coach John Duncan.

"My curve ball was working today which helps me a lot when I get ahead," said Warden, "and that led to my strikeouts. I just kept the ball low."

New Richmond scored all its runs in the first inning after two were out. After doubling to deep center with two outs, Steven Bender scored from second when Andy Case reached first on a throwing error that pulled Western Brown's first baseman off the bag. Shoemaker then delivered his homer, a line drive over the center field fence.

"He threw it right down the middle, a two-and-0 pitch and I was looking for it and he threw it right where I wanted it," said Shoemaker.

The win improved the Lions to 4-1 on the season and 2-0 in the Southern Buckeye Conference. The Lions play their next two games on the road, Wednesday at Goshen and Friday at Clermont Northeastern.